Best Practice for Controlled Substance Management in the Post Anesthesia Care Units
In the dynamic and critical environment of the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), effective management of controlled substances is of paramount importance. This educational activity is designed to equip healthcare professionals with comprehensive insights into the safe and optimal handling of controlled substances while adhering to best practices.
All learners will report an increase in knowledge related to management of controlled substances in the PACU.
During this interactive and informative session, participants will delve into the multifaceted realm of control substance management in the PACU. Through a combination of engaging lectures, case studies, and practical demonstrations, attendees will gain a profound understanding of the following key areas:
- Regulatory Compliance and Guidelines: Participants will be introduced to the latest regulations and guidelines set forth by relevant regulatory bodies. Exploring topics such as ASPAN guidelines, record-keeping requirements, and legal considerations will empower healthcare practitioners to navigate the complex landscape of controlled substance management confidently.
- Risk Assessment and Mitigation: Attendees will learn to identify potential risks associated with controlled substances in the PACU environment. Through real-world scenarios and case studies, participants will develop skills to assess risk factors, implement effective mitigation strategies, and ensure patient safety remains paramount.
- Proper Documentation and Record Keeping: Comprehensive and accurate documentation is a cornerstone of controlled substance management. This segment will highlight the importance of maintaining meticulous records, including administration, waste disposal, and reconciliation. Practical guidance will be provided on how to efficiently document controlled substance-related activities.
- Preventing Diversion and Unauthorized Use: Addressing the pressing issue of diversion, participants will explore best practices to prevent unauthorized access and misuse of controlled substances. Strategies for creating a culture of accountability, recognizing red flags, and promoting a secure environment will be discussed.
- Patient-Centered Care: Balancing the stringent requirements of controlled substance management with optimal patient care is crucial. Attendees will explore methods for seamlessly integrating these practices to ensure that patients receive the highest level of care without compromising safety and compliance.
- Collaboration and Communication: Effective teamwork and communication play a pivotal role in controlled substance management. Participants will learn how to foster interdisciplinary collaboration, share vital information, and ensure a cohesive approach to handling controlled substances within the PACU setting.
Ayumi Fielden, MSN, RN, CCRN, CPAN
Rona Khadka, BSN, RN, CCRN
Houston Methodist is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
To be awarded 1.00 continuing professional development hours, the participant must attend the program in its entirety and complete the evaluation tool.
- 1.00 Attendance
- 1.00 Nursing Contact Hours
Houston Methodist is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Houston Methodist will award 1.00 Nursing Continuing Professional Development contact hours for this activity. Participants must attend the activity in its entirety and complete the continuing education evaluation.
For Houston Methodist Employees:
If you are an employee of Houston Methodist and this is your first time accessing this site, you may proceed to register for your activity by following these steps:
- Select “Log In / Register” on the top right of the page.
- Select “Houston Methodist login” to log in using your Houston Methodist email address and network password.
- Edit your profile accordingly and save.
- Mobile number update: provide and confirm your mobile number.
- Then proceed to register for your activity.
If you have previously created a profile, you may proceed to register for your activity by completing the above steps 1 & 2 and registering for your activity.
For Non-Houston Methodist Employees:
If this is your first time access this site, please create your account by following these steps:
- Select “Log In/Register” on the top right of the page
- Select “Create new visitor account.”
- Edit your profile accordingly and save.
- Update your mobile number.
If you have previously created a profile, you may proceed with registering for the activity by selecting “Log In.” Select “Visitor Log In,” and login with the information you previously used.
For additional information please visit the FAQ section.